IPython (Interactive Python) is a command shell for interactive computing in multiple programming languages, originally developed for the Python programming language, that offers introspection, rich media, shell syntax, tab completion, and history. IPython provides the following features:
- Interactive shells (terminal and Qt-based)
- A browser-based notebook interface with support for code, text, mathematical expressions, inline plots and other media
- Support for interactive data visualization and use of GUI toolkits
- Flexible, embeddable interpreters to load into one’s own projects
- Tools for parallel computing - Wikipedia
No alternative software available under 'Shell' category.
Many pieces which were previously part of IPython were split out in version 4, and now have their own documentation.
- Jupyter includes: 1 The Jupyter notebook and notebook file format 2 The Jupyter Qt console 3 The kernel messaging protocol 4 Many other components
- ipyparallel (formerly IPython.parallel)
- ipykernel (minimal docs, only release notes for the ipykernel package)
- ipywidgets (formerly IPython.html.widgets)
- Traitlets, the config system used by IPython and Jupyter - source
This page was last updated with commit: transition from Jekyll to Hugo, though with bugs (21588fb)